As a type of steroid, Topicort can help treat inflammation and itching caused by various skin conditions. This prescription medication is specifically approved to treat psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, and many other skin problems. It comes in the form of an ointment, a gel, or a cream, and is typically applied to the affected areas of the skin twice daily.
Topicort® (desoximetasone) is a prescription skin medication. It comes in the form of an ointment, gel, or cream. It belongs to a group of medications known as topical steroids and is used to treat inflammation and itching due to a wide variety of skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and allergic reactions.
Brand-name Topicort is made by Taro Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
Topicort is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Topicort works for most conditions by decreasing inflammation or suppressing an overactive immune system.
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Topicort include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin twice a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- If your healthcare provider recommends that you do so, you may apply a dressing over the medication. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a recommendation for which type of dressing to use.
- Do not use this product on the face, underarms, groin, or diaper area, unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.