The amount of Stelara your healthcare provider recommends will depend on your weight. For example, if you are under 220 pounds, the recommended Stelara dosage is 45 mg -- if you weigh over 220 pounds, it is 90 mg. Regardless of the amount, your second injection should be given four weeks after the first. After the second dose, an injection is given every 12 weeks.
Your healthcare provider will administer a certain dosage of Stelara™ (ustekinumab), depending on your weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended dose of Stelara for people who weigh less than 220 pounds is 45 mg. For people who weigh 220 pounds or more, the recommended dosage is 90 mg. The second dosage is given 4 weeks after the first, and all subsequent doses are given 12 weeks apart.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Stelara include the following:
- Stelara comes in injectable form. Your healthcare provider will inject it just below the skin (subcutaneously). Various areas of the body may be used.
- The second injection is given four weeks after the first. After that, the injections are given every 12 weeks.
- Your healthcare provider should rotate the injection sites so that the same area is not injected twice in a row.
- For Stelara to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not continue to work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Stelara dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.