Psoriasis Home > Vectical Overdose
It is probably possible to use too much Vectical (calcitriol ointment). The most likely effect from an overdose of this drug is high blood calcium, which may cause symptoms such as confusion, side pain, and muscle weakness. Treatment will usually involve supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much Vectical?Vectical® (calcitriol ointment) is a prescription medication approved to treat psoriasis. As with most medications, it is probably possible to use too much Vectical.
The specific effects of an overdose could potentially be dangerous but can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Vectical dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
Effects of an OverdoseThe most likely serious effect of a Vectical overdose is high blood calcium (hypercalcemia). Signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia include:
- Kidney stones
- Abdominal (stomach) pain or side pain
- Constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- Muscle achiness or weakness
- Confusion or lethargy
- Increased thirst and frequent urination.
Treatment for a Vectical OverdoseThe treatment for this type of overdose will vary. In many cases, simply stopping the medication (and making sure the dosage is appropriate before restarting) until blood calcium levels return to normal will be sufficient. Blood calcium levels that are dangerously high may need to be treated with medications and intravenous (IV) hydration.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.