Psoriasis Home > Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment Dosage
With triamcinolone acetonide ointment, the dosing guidelines will depend on the type and severity of the skin condition you have. The starting dose is typically a small layer of the ointment applied to the affected areas of the skin two to four times daily. In some cases, a healthcare provider may recommend putting a dressing over this area to improve absorption of the drug.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Triamcinolone Acetonide OintmentThe dosage of triamcinolone acetonide ointment (Kenalog® ointment) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending mostly on the type and severity of the skin condition you have. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment Dosing for Skin ConditionsWith triamcinolone acetonide ointment, the standard starting dose for treating itching or inflammation due to a wide variety of skin conditions (such as psoriasis, eczema, or atopic dermatitis) is to apply a thin layer to the affected area(s) of the skin two to four times a day.
Your healthcare provider may recommend covering the ointment with a dressing. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a recommendation for which type of dressing to use. Using a dressing might help improve the effectiveness of the drug, but it also increases the risk for triamcinolone acetonide ointment side effects.
If triamcinolone acetonide ointment is to be applied to the diaper area of young children, do not use tight-fitting diapers or "plastic pants," as they may increase the absorption of the drug. Breathable fabrics or diapers should be used.
General Information on Using Triamcinolone Acetonide OintmentSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with triamcinolone acetonide ointment include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin two to four times daily.
- Apply only a thin film; applying a thick layer is unnecessary and wasteful.
- If your healthcare provider recommends that you do so, you may apply a dressing over the ointment. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a recommendation for which type of dressing to use.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with triamcinolone acetonide ointment, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.