Psoriasis Home > Stelara Dosage
The amount of Stelara your healthcare provider recommends will depend mainly on your weight. For example, if you are under 220 pounds, the recommended Stelara dosage for plaque psoriasis is 45 mg -- if you weigh over 220 pounds, it is 90 mg. Regardless of the amount, your second injection should be given four weeks after the first. After the second dose, an injection is given every 12 weeks.
An Introduction to Dosing With StelaraYour healthcare provider will administer a certain dosage of Stelara® (ustekinumab), depending on your weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Stelara Dosage for Plaque Psoriasis
The recommended dose of Stelara for plaque psoriasis treatment for people who weigh less than 220 pounds is 45 mg. For people who weigh 220 pounds or more, the recommended dosage is 90 mg. The second dosage is given 4 weeks after the first, and all subsequent doses are given 12 weeks apart.
Recommended Stelara Dosage for Psoriatic Arthritis
The recommended Stelara dosage for psoriatic arthritis is 45 mg. The first two doses are given 4 weeks apart, and then all subsequent doses are given 12 weeks apart.
For people with both plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, the recommended dose of Stelara for people who weigh less than 220 pounds is 45 mg. For people who weigh 220 pounds or more, the recommended dosage is 90 mg. The second dosage is given 4 weeks after the first, and all subsequent doses are given 12 weeks apart.
General Dosing InformationSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Stelara include the following:
- Stelara comes in injectable form. Your healthcare provider will inject it just below the skin (subcutaneously), or if your healthcare provider approves, you may give yourself the injections. Various areas of the body may be used.
- The second injection is given four weeks after the first. After that, the injections are given every 12 weeks.
- The injection sites should be rotated so that the same area is not injected twice in a row.
- For Stelara to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not continue to work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Stelara dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.