Psoriasis Home > Sorilux Overdose
Although Sorilux is typically applied to the skin, it is possible to overdose on it. The effects will depend on how much was taken and whether it was taken by mouth or applied to the skin. The most likely effect of an overdose with Sorilux is high blood calcium levels, which could be potentially dangerous. Treatment will likely include stopping the medication.
Can You Use Too Much Sorilux?Sorilux® (calcipotriene foam) is a prescription medication approved to treat plaque psoriasis. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Sorilux.
The specific effects of an overdose with Sorilux could be dangerous and would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Sorilux dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
Effects of an OverdoseThe most likely serious effect of a Sorilux overdose is high blood calcium (hypercalcemia). Signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia include:
- Kidney stones
- Abdominal (stomach) pain or side pain
- Constipation, nausea, or vomiting
- Muscle achiness or weakness
- Confusion or lethargy
- Increased thirst and frequent urination.
Serious effects are probably more likely if the medication is taken by mouth, as only a small percentage is absorbed throughout the body when it is applied to the skin. This type of accidental overdose might happen with a pet or a small child.
Treating a Sorilux OverdoseThe treatment for an overdose with Sorilux will vary. In many cases, simply stopping the medication and waiting until blood calcium levels return to normal will be sufficient. Blood calcium levels that are dangerously high may need to be treated with medications and intravenous (IV) hydration. It is also important to make sure the dosage is appropriate before restarting.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe you or someone else may have overdosed on Sorilux.