Psoriasis Home > Halobetasol Dosage
Although your halobetasol dosage will depend on the severity of the skin condition being treated, the typical dosing guidelines for this drug include applying a small amount on the affected areas once or twice daily. Do not use this medicine for more than two weeks and do not apply more than 50 grams of the ointment or cream each week.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of HalobetasolThe dose of halobetasol propionate (Ultravate®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on the severity of the condition. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Halobetasol Dosing Guidelines for Skin ConditionsThe standard dose for halobetasol cream or ointment is a thin layer applied to the affected areas of the skin once or twice daily. It is not recommended to exceed two weeks of treatment. Also, do not apply more than 50 grams each week. Using too much halobetasol or using it too long increases the risk for serious side effects (see Halobetasol Side Effects).
Halobetasol is approved for use in adults and children as young as 12 years old; it has not been adequately studied in younger children. This is a highly potent steroid, and young children are more likely to absorb too much of this medication, perhaps leading to serious side effects. If steroid treatment is necessary for a child, a less potent steroid would probably be more appropriate.
General Information on Using HalobetasolSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with halobetasol include the following:
- This medication comes as a cream or an ointment, and is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin once or twice a day for up to two weeks. Long-term treatment is not recommended.
- Apply a halobetasol dosage sparingly. More is not better; only a thin film is necessary.
- Do not cover the medicine with a dressing or bandage, unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so (covering it increases the risk for side effects).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with halobetasol, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.