Psoriasis Home > Elocon
Elocon is a steroid prescribed to treat various skin conditions, such as dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema. It works by reducing inflammation and suppressing an overactive immune system. This medicine comes in the form of an ointment, a lotion, or a cream, and is usually applied to the affected areas of the skin once daily. Side effects may include skin irritation, such as burning or itching.
What Is Elocon?Elocon® (mometasone furoate) is a prescription skin medication. It comes in the form of an ointment, lotion, or cream. It belongs to a group of medications known as topical steroids and is used to treat inflammation and itching due to a wide variety of skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and allergic reactions.
Who Makes This Medicine?Brand-name Elocon is made by Schering-Plough. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
How Does Elocon Work?Elocon is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. Elocon works for most conditions by decreasing inflammation or suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Elocon include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) once a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly; only a thin film is necessary.
- If your healthcare provider recommends that you do so, you may apply a dressing over the medicine. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for a recommendation for which type of dressing to use.
- Do not use this product on the face, underarm, groin, or diaper area unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.