Psoriasis Home > Cyclosporine Overdose
Based on cases where people have taken too much cyclosporine, overdose symptoms may include vomiting, seizures, and kidney problems, among others. However, the specific effects will depend on how much of the medicine was taken and whether it was taken in combination with other substances. Treatment may include pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal, and treating any symptoms that occur due to the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Cyclosporine?Cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®) is a prescription medication approved for use with other medicines to prevent transplant rejection after a heart, kidney, or lung transplant. The medicine is also used to treat the symptoms of severe rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis in certain people. As with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on cyclosporine.
Effects of an OverdoseOral cyclosporine overdoses of up to 10 grams have been reported with no serious side effects. However, some people may develop serious kidney problems from an overdose. Based on reports of people taking too much of this medication, overdose symptoms may include but are not limited to:
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Kidney problems (which are usually temporary and reversible)
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Changes in taste
- Flushing of the face
- Burning sensation in the mouth or on the skin
- Sore gums
- Muscle twitching
- Swelling of the abdomen (stomach), arms, legs, ankles, or feet
- Confusion or altered consciousness
- An abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia).