Psoriasis Home > Cyclosporine Dosage
General Information on Taking CyclosporineSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with cyclosporine include the following:
- This medication comes as a capsule, an oral liquid solution, and an intravenous (IV) injection. It is usually taken once or twice a day, depending on the particular product you are using.
- You can take this medicine with or without food; however, it should always be taken exactly the same way every day, with the same amount of time between doses and meals.
- Because they are absorbed differently by the body, the modified and original forms of cyclosporine are not interchangeable with each other, and cannot be considered substitutes for one another. Do not change the type of cyclosporine you are taking without your healthcare provider's approval. You may need a dose adjustment if you switch from one kind of cyclosporine to another.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of medicine in your bloodstream.
- Cyclosporine intravenous injection comes as a concentrated solution. It must be diluted before use. After dilution, it is given as a slow infusion into a vein over two to six hours.
- Cyclosporine oral solution will taste better if mixed with room temperature orange juice or apple juice. Original cyclosporine solution can also be mixed with milk. Do not use grapefruit juice.
Mix your dosage in a glass container (not plastic) right before taking it (do not let it stand). After drinking the medicine, add a little more juice or milk to the glass and drink again to make sure you get your complete dose.
- If you are using liquid cyclosporine, use the syringe that came with your prescription to measure your dosage. Do not use a regular household measuring spoon, as it will not be accurate enough.
- Do not rinse your cyclosporine syringe with water before or after use, as doing so may affect the accuracy of the syringe. You may wipe the syringe off with a clean towel after each use. If it needs to be washed off, make sure it dries completely before using it again.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medicine, or change to another brand of cyclosporine medicine, without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of cyclosporine, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.