Psoriasis Home > Cyclocort Warnings and Precautions
If your healthcare provider recommends Cyclocort, it is important that he or she knows if you are taking any other medications or if you have any allergies. You should also review the safety precautions for Cyclocort, including warnings of potentially serious complications this medicine may cause. Some of these problems include diabetes, Cushing's syndrome, or an inability to produce natural steroids.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Cyclocort® (amcinonide) if you:
- Are breastfeeding
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Have any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With CyclocortSome warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to using this medicine include the following:
- Like other steroids, Cyclocort can cause serious problems like Cushing's syndrome or diabetes. Although this is more likely to occur with oral or injectable steroids, it is still possible with topical steroids, including this one. The more you apply and the longer you use the drug, the more likely these problems are to occur. Covering the medicine with a dressing, which is sometimes recommended, may also increase the risk.
- Cyclocort can suppress the body's ability to make natural steroids. This typically happens when large doses are used over a long period. In such circumstances, the medication should be stopped gradually to give your body a chance to begin making its own natural steroids again. If this is not feasible, you might need to take an oral steroid for a while, after which you will slowly be weaned off it.
- If you use this medication for an extended period, it may lead to Cushing's syndrome (a group of symptoms caused by prolonged exposure to steroids). Contact your healthcare provider if you develop signs of this condition, such as:
- A rounded face
- Unusual body fat distribution (more fat in the trunk, face, and neck, and less fat in the arms and legs)
- High blood sugar levels.
- Like all steroids, Cyclocort may slow down the growth rate of children and teenagers. Contact your child's healthcare provider if you are concerned about this. In general, children may be more susceptible to the side effects of steroids. Close monitoring is necessary for any child receiving such drugs long-term.
- Cyclocort may react with a few other medications (see Cyclocort Drug Interactions).
- Cyclocort is a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are currently unknown (see Cyclocort and Pregnancy).
- It is unknown if Cyclocort passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to using this product (see Cyclocort and Breastfeeding).