Psoriasis Home > Cordran Tape Warnings and Precautions
As with any drug, there are certain things you should be aware of prior to using Cordran Tape. For example, the safety warnings involve being aware of potentially serious side effects, such as Cushing's syndrome and diabetes, and taking precautions if an infection develops. Your risk of complications increases the longer you use this product.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Cordran® Tape (flurandrenolide tape) if you:
- Are breastfeeding
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Have any allergies, including to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Specific Precautions and Warnings With Cordran TapeSome warnings and precautions to be aware of when using this medication include the following:
- Cordran Tape is a highly potent steroid, and, therefore, is more likely to cause serious side effects, compared with less potent steroids.
- Like all steroids, Cordran Tape may slow down the growth rate of children and teenagers. Contact your child's healthcare provider if you are concerned about this. In general, children may be more susceptible to side effects of steroids. Close monitoring is necessary for any child receiving long-term steroids.
- If you develop a skin infection while using this product, you will need to be treated with appropriate antibiotics or antifungal medications. If the infection does not clear up, you may need to stop using Cordran Tape.
- Steroids can cause serious side effects, such as Cushing's syndrome or diabetes. Although this is more likely to occur with oral or injected steroids, it is still possible with topical steroids like Cordran Tape. The more you apply and the longer you use the drug, the more likely these problems are to occur.
- If you use this medication for an extended period, be sure to watch for any signs of Cushing's syndrome (a group of symptoms caused by prolonged exposure to steroids), such as:
- A rounded face
- Unusual body fat distribution (more fat in the trunk, face, and neck, and less fat in the arms and legs)
- High blood sugar.
Let your healthcare provider know if you think you have signs of this problem.
- Cordran Tape can suppress the body's ability to make natural steroids. Usually, this happens when large doses are used over a long period, which is not recommended. In such circumstances, this medicine should be stopped slowly to give your body a chance to begin making natural steroids again. If this is not feasible, you might need to be given an oral steroid for a while, after which you will be slowly weaned off it.
- Cordran Tape can potentially react with a few other medications (see Cordran Tape Drug Interactions).
- This product is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not currently known (see Cordran Tape and Pregnancy).
- It is unknown if flurandrenolide (the active ingredient in Cordran Tape) passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider before starting treatment (see Cordran Tape and Breastfeeding).