As a type of steroid, DesOwen can help relieve itching and inflammation caused by certain skin conditions. This prescription medication is specifically approved to treat eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and various other skin problems. It comes in the form of a lotion, an ointment, or a cream, and is typically applied to the affected areas of the skin two or three times daily.
What Is DesOwen?DesOwen® (desonide) is a prescription skin medication. It comes in the form of an ointment, lotion, or cream. It belongs to a group of medications known as topical steroids and is used to treat inflammation and itching due to a wide variety of skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and allergic reactions.
Who Makes This Medicine?Brand-name DesOwen is made by DPT Laboratories, Ltd., for Galderma Laboratories, L.P. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
How Does DesOwen Work?DesOwen is part of a group of medications known as glucocorticoids, which are a type of corticosteroid (or "steroid" for short). Although glucocorticoids have numerous effects in the body, they are used mostly for their anti-inflammatory or immune-suppressing properties. DesOwen works for most conditions by decreasing inflammation or suppressing an overactive immune system.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with DesOwen include the following:
- This medication is usually applied to the affected area(s) of the skin two to three times a day.
- Apply the medication sparingly; only a thin film is necessary.
- It is not recommended to use a nonbreathable dressing, such as a bandage, over DesOwen.
- For the lotion, make sure to shake the bottle well before each use.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.