The standard dosage of Amevive is one injection (15 mg) per week for 12 weeks. You may receive additional courses of Amevive, provided it has been at least 12 weeks since your last injection and your T-cell counts are within the appropriate range. Be careful not to miss any doses, as this makes the medicine less effective.
An Introduction to Dosing With AmeviveThere is only one standard recommended dosage of Amevive® (alefacept), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosing schedule by missing or canceling doses unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Amevive DosageThe recommended Amevive dose is 15 mg, given once weekly as an intramuscular injection for 12 weeks. Retreatment with additional courses may be given, as long as at least 12 weeks have passed between treatments and your CD4+ T-cell counts are normal.
T-cells are important immune system cells. Having low T-cells increases your risk for serious infections. Your healthcare provider should check your CD4+ T-cell counts (using a simple blood test) before you start a course of Amevive and every two weeks while you are receiving the injections.
If your cell count is low, you will need to stop this medication temporarily, and weekly monitoring will be recommended. If your cell count remains low for a month or more, you should permanently stop taking Amevive.
General Information on Your Amevive DoseSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Amevive include the following:
- Amevive comes in injectable form. Your healthcare provider will inject it into a muscle (intramuscularly) once a week for 12 weeks. Various areas of the body may be used.
- Repeated courses may be given, provided that at least 12 weeks have passed and blood tests show that your CD4+ T-cells are within the normal range.
- Your healthcare provider should rotate the injection sites so that the same area is not injected twice in a row.
- For Amevive to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Skipping doses or not finishing the 12-week course will likely reduce the effectiveness of the medicine.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Amevive dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.