Aclovate Side Effects
Side Effects to ReportSome side effects of Aclovate are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately. These include but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or diabetes
- Ruptured tendons
- Psychotic reactions, such as hallucinations or extreme aggression
- Severe fluid retention
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
In general, these serious reactions are extremely unlikely to occur when Aclovate is used as directed for a short time, particularly since Aclovate is a relatively mild steroid. Applying too much, over too large of an area, and for extended periods may increase the risk for serious steroidal side effects.
Long-Term Side Effects of AclovateUsing steroids like Aclovate over long periods can cause a different set of side effects. These reactions are most likely to be seen in people who use this medicine over a large area of the body for a long time. Some of the problems seen with long-term use might include:
- Suppression of the immune system (perhaps leading to infections or other problems)
- Weight gain
- Bulging eyes
- Fluid retention
- Loss of muscle
- Fat deposits on the face and back, causing a round face and a fatty hump on the back of the neck
- Stunted growth (in children).